"What'd I do???"
"Dabin" is Boba's word for "food". She will actually tell me from time to time, right as she's in the middle of playing with her blocks - "Dabin." As in, "Feed me." As in, "I just got a hunger pang and I must be fed RIGHT NOW."
But then it gets confusing. You see, when we first started her on solids, she pretty much welcomed everything we gave her. It was a slow process, but I had her on a fairly balanced-yet-diverse diet. She wasn't exhibiting any signs of allergies, so I would introduce new stuff to her on almost a daily basis. She just ate it up. Once in a while, she'd wrinkle her nose and turn her head away from the spoonful I was offering her, but for the most part, she was a really good eater.
Until she had the stomach flu.
We did everything according to the book as far as treating the flu, and sure enough, she got better. BUT, all of a sudden, even though she was better, eating became a chore. Not surprising, I suppose, but it became quite frustrating when old favorites were suddenly pushed away with impudence. The only things she would eat were one of 4 items:
- Bananas (fresh or baby-food style)
- Applesauce
- Special K (Mommy's cereal obsession)
- Biter biscuits
(The biter biscuits are a loose addition to that list because mainly it acts as a filler until I can get the Special K out of the pantry and sprinkled in front of her. She is CRAZY about Special K, like me. Then she drops the biscuit on the floor like it never even existed.)
I'm getting a little frustrated at the lack of variety in her diet right now, but no matter what I try to feed her she twists away so violently I'm afraid she might get a cramp. Finally I feed her one of the 4 items above just so she has something substantial in her tummy!
Do food woes really start this early????
Anyway, she is still on at least 6 bottles of milk a day, so there is that source of nutrition. But I really do need to get her to eat more veggies and stuff. Any suggestions on foods that worked for YOUR child?? I'll try anything!



4 comments:
girl, good luck. that's all i have to say.
no, j/k. i've found isagani has followed the exact same pattern. i've said forget it, and have been giving him grown up food for a long time now. rice with whatever ulam we're eating is a guaranteed finished meal. and he also will never refuse broccoli. he goes through phases too, where he only likes oranges and strawberries, which he probably will refuse in a week.
Thanks Kim for sharing about
Katrina. I love to hear her
latest!
Mom
I agree with Westcobina-she'll pass out of this phase eventually. (It may be a "food aversion" brought on by the stomach flu: she'll associate her vomitting and miserableness to the food she ate before she got sick, rather than to the flu). If you want to keep offering her foods just in case she decides she wants something, a few favs in casa Gonzalez-Montelibano are pancit (yep, Joaquin was snarfing cut up pancit at Katrina's age) and sweet potatoes. They're sweet and loaded with vitamins. Mango season is just around the corner...lots of vitamins there too. But maybe you've already tried all those things?
On the veggie front...Lana loves to scrape off artichoke leaves. Something about the novelty of biting down on them and then having mommy pull the rest of the leaf out of her mouth. Makes me happy in that it's an iron-rich veggie. (Bonus points!!)
Have you tried the YoBaby yogurts yet? Lana can't get enough of 'em!
Good luck...I have several friends whose kids went on "nothing but cheerios" strikes that lasted a few weeks. All of 'em eventually returned to their "I'll try anything" eating habits. :)
Jen
Post a Comment