Thursday, December 15, 2005
The Legend of BOBA
When I first started this blog, I mentioned that I would explain the origin of Katrina's nickname, BOBA. Actually, it's a little misleading to call it a nickname, seeing as we rarely call her that at home. It's more of an...indicator, if you will. Indicating that Katrina is cute. Or something.
So the story goes like this...last Christmas, the Montelibano clan all gathered in the Philippines. At the time the only granchild present was the handsome and brilliant Joaquin Ysidro Gonzalez Montelibano, son of Joji and Gabriella. (Katrina was but a mass of cells floating around Mommy's midsection, and Sophia was, as they say, "a glint in her daddy's eye.") Joaquin was a mere 15 months at the time, and was just beginning to talk. His then-favorite word (and many of you pacodoggie.com fans will already know this story!) was "boba", which evidently was his version of "bola", which is Spanish and tagalog for "ball". Anyway, whenever Joaquin saw something round, he would yell happily: "BOBA!", and sometimes, "Boba?", as though he wanted validation for his apt observations.
Now, I'm not sure if he actually did this, or if we just imagined it, or if we pointed it out to him, but someone in the family was developing a bit of a round tummy around that time (yes, that would be me). And suddenly, Joaquin's exclamations of "Boba" seemed very appropriate when describing Auntie Flambo's growing stomach. Before long, Jason and I were calling our bun-in-the-oven "Boba", which felt very right given we didn't know the sex of the baby anyway. And the rest, as they say...
...became the title of a lovely blog about a beautiful little baby girl who has made her Daddy's and my life exponentially more special each day!
How's that for a happy ending!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment