Thursday, July 27, 2006

THIS IS TO APPEASE DADDY.

I've said that my parents ran off with our "good" digital camera, and that I don't like to blog sans photographs. Well, Jason has begged...and begged...and begged. For an update. You'd think he didn't LIVE WITH BOBA AND SEE HER EVERY DAY. Since he's the love-of-my-life-and-all, I figured I should probably oblige his request. So here goes.

  • Now that Boba is walking, she is getting more and more confident about traveling around on her own (i.e., without holding Mommy's hand). Consequently, she's attempted to go faster than her little feet can carry her, and the other day she landed SPLAT! on her face. On the concrete. I was mortified...and only two feet away from her. She immediately burst into tears and I quickly scooped her up in my arms. Sure enough, there was a little gash on the side of her now-cherry-red nose that was bleeding slightly. (And who felt like the worst mother in the world??) I dabbed at the gash and she calmed down in my arms once I stuck a pacifier in her mouth - but the cherry-red nose seemed to smart more and more as time passed. By the next morning, she had a bruise on her nose that looked like someone had applied stage makeup on her for the musical CATS. And was interrupted while the nose was being done. Because the bruise only covers half of her nose. So from one side of her face, she looks like a perfectly healthy baby. The other side looks like Child Protection Services could be screeching into our driveway any second. Fortunately, she seems to have recoved from the trauma - emotionally, anyway - of her first official meeting with concrete. I'll try to get a photo of her nose with my phone...at least you'll get an idea!
  • She luuuuuves being chased after. As in, "I'm gonna gitcha!"-grab her by the waist and pick her up as she screams in high-pitched giggles. Sometimes I only have to look at her a certain way and she just erupts in laughter because she knows I'm coming to get her. It's moments like that that make moments like the ones I'm about to describe bearable...
  • ....the moments I'm referring to are the ones with the TEMPER TANTRUMS. And I mean full-blown, foot-stamping, face-scrunched-and-red, SCREAMING AT THE TOP OF HER LUNGS temper tantrums. Do they really begin this early in life??? I mean, she gets pissed off like you would not believe! And that whole tactic where you try to distract her with one thing so that she doesn't pay attention the dangerous-thing-she-was-about-to-fiddle-with? NO LONGER WORKS. She remembers that you so coldly and cruelly denied her the opportunity to play with the POWER DRILL. Or the WATER IN THE TOILET BOWL. Or that when she reached to take a gulp of your steaming-hot coffee, you deigned to pull it out of her grasp. The way she screams, I'm surprised CPS hasn't already arrived at our doorstep. (Maybe they're staking out our property for the next time I let her have a face-plant into the concrete.)

Well, there ya go. How's that for an update, Daddy??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I've had my Boba fix. Very content.

A few other fun things.

-- She points at anything that interests her. Deciphering the point is still tricky. Is it the "Oh-cool-look-at-that" point or the "if-you-don't-hand-that-to-me-NOW-I'm-going-to-start-screaming" point?

-- She will create a peek-a-boo game whenever possible. She'll duck behind furniture, her hands, or just bow her head low while sitting (knowing, of course, that that makes her invisible) and then pop out with a big smile on her face.

-- She loves it when I gnaw on her feet. She squeals, giggles and thrusts her feet at me for more. Man, we're messing this kid up!

Last night, Katrina saw her first play -- a 30-minute children's show as part of the Festival where I work: COWBOY BO & THE TRAIN WHISTLE. Daddy had to make the curtain speech. When she saw me up there she started pointing and crying out to me. I went over and picked her up, introduced her to the audience and continued with my speech. Once Katrina got in front of the lights and noticed all the people, she started beaming and smiling coyly. A natural. We are so in trouble.

Anyway, please tell Kim the pix are great, but we all live for the stories. Keep 'em coming, honey.

Anonymous said...

I am SO with you on the _does it really happen this early??_ front re: tempers and ignoring mommy's pleas to STOP doing dangerous things. :P Guess this is our first sneak-peek of teenagedom, huh?

xo,
jen