
- I, Flambo, do not cook.
- I do not like to cook.
- I don't really care about the food I eat, as long as it's yummy.
Folks, I am happy to tell you that NONE of these points are true. (Well, except maybe #3. I do love yummy food. Who doesn't?)
I do cook, and I really enjoy it. Most of the time I just don't cook because I don't have time or the necessary ingredients to make something as good as it should be. So unfortunately, I do tend to prepare foods of a more convenient nature (boxed Mac & Cheese, for instance) when it's my turn to make dinner.
But now that I'm a parent, I've realized that I just don't want to feed my kids all the lovely additives, preservatives, and chemicals that are present in most processed foods. I'm not saying all processed foods are bad, but the vast majority of "convenience meals" are. So, what have I done to ensure healthier eating in my family? Well, there are a ton of things one can change in their dietary habits, but I'm a big fan of the "baby steps" process, so I decided to take some of my own. In early May, a good friend of ours helped me in doing something I've longed to do in a very, very long time....plant a vegetable garden.

It's been a long and wonderful process, and one that has really connected me to nature (I know - cheesy as all heck but what can I say? It's true!). I've planted 9 different vegetables: two kinds of tomatoes, bell peppers, chili peppers, Japanese eggplants, chives, cilantro, sorrel, and arugula. And so far, all the vegetables are thriving.
No ripe tomatoes yet, but the cherry tomatoes are getting there, and I've already harvested several eggplants that I'm planning on putting in a Szechuan stir-fry. I've made many salads and sandwiches with the sorrel and arugula, not to mention an AWESOME salsa and guacamole using the chilies and cilantro.

I've also tried to involve the kids a little with my daily gardening routine. Fox will often be on my hip in the early morning when I water the plants, and Boba will help me check out all the veggies to see if they're ripening. They're still too young to appreciate the value of a vegetable garden, but I think they'll be reaping the benefits very soon.
In the meantime, I've also purchased a breadmaker (for $20 off of Craigs List!), and have already made what had to be the most delicious loaf of bread I've ever had. I kid you not. I know it's not totally homemade (although I'm planning on doing it by hand in the near future!), but it's as close as I've ever gotten to it. I still bake with box mixes, but the process of making everything with Boba at my side sure feels like I'm some kind of domestic goddess!

The other day I had the pleasure of a breakfast & lunch that was very much from my yard - toasted homemade bread with apricot jam and a glass of fresh lemonade, and then a sandwich with the same bread, arugula, sorrel, chives, tomato, and ham later on! Just marvelous!
So - I think we're on our way to better eating. I'll tell you one thing - fresh tastes a HELL of a lot better. I hadn't realized that the flavor I'd been tasting all along in jarred salsa was one of preservatives. It's not bad, but it just can't compare to the real stuff when you make it at home with nothing but veggie goodness.


1 comment:
hey..have your heard about the no knead bread deal? i know you have a breadmaker but this is another super half arsed way to make bread. its super crust on the outside and soft on the inside. just like me!! let me know if you want the recipe.
Post a Comment