Monday, March 13, 2006

Teething sucks...but at least I have a cool new playmat

"Check out my sweet new mat...."

Some new developments recently. Or, I should say, the lack of one particular development has created all sorts of hubbub in the Montelibano-Heil household. That is...NO TEETH YET! See below:


(This also displays her Asian-ness quite nicely, dontcha think?)

This lack of teeth, as of her 8-month birthday last Friday, has not been any kind of bother until this past weekend. Well, I confess...I'm not 100% sure it's the culprit of her nightly awakenings, but I suspect teething has something to do with it. I mean, how else do you explain the sudden, drastic switch from sleeping 10 straight hours through the night for the last month to screaming at hourly intervals beginning at 1 a.m.?

Well, yes, it could be any number of things, of course, but my guess is that those little chompers are making their way to the tender, unbroken surface of her gums. I mean, she's mastered crawling, is cruising like a pro, and babbles endlessly...isn't it time this milestone showed up? I know, I know, babies are on their own schedule, blah blah blah...but I do think it's high time these teeth finally emerged. Anyway, I sense they are to blame for Boba's and Mommy's recent sleep deprivation.

Obviously, I'm perturbed and I've been in a bit of a haze, but here's Boba's reaction to the whole thing:

"Whatevs, momma."

Anyway, courtesy of Grandma Robin, who Boba loves and misses dearly, we did get her a brand new play mat to brighten up her bedroom. It's really quite colorful and she seems to enjoy crawling and rolling all over it. Thanks, Grandma Robin!

Cuteness in Color

Jason did a nice job of putting all the tiles together. He of course pointed out to me that the letters and numbers have a tendency to pop out, and that Boba might like to eat them. Such a conscientious father. He forgets that I do not blink when I watch her and would most likely be able to sense such an event before it actually happened. After all, isn't intervention what Mommyhood is all about? Anyhow, the mat is staying. I think it's cute. Besides, if these damn teeth ever decide to show up instead of just tormenting the poor child, I'd be happy to see her finally putting them to good use. Foam's not toxic, right?

JUST KIDDING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, probably teeth. Alma tells us Fli's teeth are coming out but we don't see them. I don't think foam is that toxis. Joaquin ate half the alphabet before he turned 1 and he was ok.

Erin Cronican said...

According to my mother, I didn't get my first tooth until I was 16 months old. They thought I was missing them entirely! =)

Anonymous said...

Had to laugh at this post. I kept wondering where Lana's teeth were, too. (To which my mother-in-law assured me that, of all the milestones to worry about, she could guarantee me that someday Lana would definitely get teeth!)

Sure enough, the day after Lana's 9th month birthday, she sprouted her first tooth. Then, two days later, her second tooth. Then, three days later, her THIRD tooth! Now, just shy of two weeks after the appearance of her first tooth, it looks like her fourth pearly white is about to burst onto the scene.

Hugs all 'round,
j