Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Legend of FLAMBO

To all of you who have been asking about this....thank you for your patience! It took some time to find a photograph of your humble blogger that would work for the purposes of this post; in other words, I wanted to find a picture where the resemblance between Flambo and Boba is obvious. Well, as it happens, Boba only looks a little bit like me. I wouldn't say she looks much like her Daddy either, but if you really looked closely at her, then at me, you might say she takes after me more, but...well...see for yourself:

The Original Flambo

Cute, right? I think that's what I was trying to signal with my fingers...."C" for "Cute".

Anyway, here's the story. (Joji and Miko, feel free to add your version of this in the comments section!) When I was a baby, my brothers would ooh and ahh over me so much that they started talking to me in their own unique version of babytalk. And, at the time, they were watching a cartoon called "My Favorite Martian", which had a dog named "Okie Dokie". So they began to call me "Okie Dokie"...which somehow became "Bokie"...which somehow became "Flambokie". (Huh?) I know, I know, one of my brothers should explain this better, I still don't understand the progression but that's how they always described it. Anyhow, "Flambokie" stuck, and to this day they only call me "Flam" or "Flambo" because if they call me "Kim" it feels very weird. Doesn't matter that we are all now in our thirties and Miko is even pushing forty. (Sorry, Mik.) We have the kind of sibling relationship where we all just "froze" at certain ages: me at 3 years, Joji at 8 years, and Miko at 11 years. I swear, that's how we all behave when we're together. We just get silly.

Here's a photo of Uncle Miko and Uncle Joji (with my nephew Joaquin), the two reasons why this blog is called "Flamboba":

My brothers are AWESOME!!! Thanks, guys, for blessing me with a cool nickname and an even cooler childhood!

(For those of you who are clawing at the walls from Boba-photo-deprivation, relax - I will post new photos very soon!)

5 comments:

Erin Cronican said...

Cute, cute, cute!!!!

Elaine said...

Darn cute kid, you were. Very er, Flambo-ish... if you will.

Shutting up.

Anonymous said...

That is my all-time favorite Flambo picture. I even remember when it was taken because I remember sitting back and going, "oh, my God, can anything be cuter than that?" Well, the answer is yes. Cuteness runs in the family, thank goodness. Miko insists that the "Flam" came from a kid named Flaminiano but I beg to differ. I wouldn't name you after a classmate. Thanks for the cute Flam picture!

Lori said...

Okay, this is officially my FAVORITE picture on this blog. CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Adorable!
Cute Mom, cute kid!

A fun story, so wonderfully
unique.
Mom